How to save money on your gas bill?
Thursday 9th January 2020
If you're trying to cut costs at home, then your gas bill is a good place to start. The gas bill is often one of the highest home costs, but there are some things you can do to lower your gas bill, without having to make big or expensive changes to your home.
1. Turn down the thermostat. Dropping the temperature by only one degree can save energy and money, without feeling any difference.
2. Don't dry clothes on your radiators. Covering the radiators lowers the amount of heat that the radiator can release, meaning the boiler has to run for longer to get the room to the same temperature, using more fuel.
3. Use a hot water bottle at night. It's much cheaper than leaving the heating on.
4. Switch to a different supplier. You might be able to find a better deal, especially if you've been the same supplier for three or more years. You could also use a lower quote to negotiate with your current supplier.
5. Move your furniture away from your radiators. The foam that is in upholstered furniture works an insulator, preventing the heat from getting into the room.
6. Use the sun. This is the most readily available source of heat, and the cheapest. When the sun's out, make the most of it by opening internal doors and letting the warm air move through the house.
7. Draw the curtains at night to keep warmth in and cold out. Tuck your curtains behind your radiators so you don't lose heat out of the window.